Sunday, January 15, 2012

Homemade Coffee Creamer

I don't know about you, but I am a coffee lover.  I have been drinking coffee all of my life.  I can remember being just a small child and sneaking and drinking Little Nanny's (my grandmother) coffee.  Funny thing is, she drank Nescafe instant, black and as strong as motor oil.  She could set her cup down and when she came back, it would be over half gone.  I knew better than drinking it all, she would have skinned my hide.  Why during the late 70's did people opt for instant coffee?  I can't stand it now.  Another story for another day I guess.

I still like my coffee black.  But for a special treat I like it sweetened and with cream.  My husband has never been a coffee drinker.  He will say "if it only taste as good as it smelled."  I think it does taste as good as it smells, I love it.  I am not sure when or why, but I got him to try coffee with one of those sweetened creamers like International Delight.  He loved it as long as the portions were 1/3 sweetened cream and 2/3 coffee.  I like having him drink it in the mornings with me, so I would pay the high price for those dairy creamers.  I also worried about what was in those store bought creamers.  One day as I was cruising through Pinterest, I came across a recipe for homemade coffee creamer.  I read through it and decided it would be a cheaper and healthier alternative to the store bought version we had been using. 

So....today I am going to show you just how easy it is to make.  You will need the following ingredients:  sweetened condensed milk (you can use the fat free version), milk (I use skim), and flavoring of your choice.  You will also need a jar/container.  I used an old pickle jar because a pint jar is not big enough and I though a quart jar would be too big.  Whatever jar/container you use, make sure it has a tight fitting lid.  You will need a spoon to get all the sweet sticky goodness out of the sweetened condensed milk can, and a measuring spoon.
What you will need.



Empty the sweetened condensed milk in the container of your choice.
Use the empty can to measure the milk.  Fill the can as full as possible with milk.

Then pour milk in container with sweetened condensed milk.
Add flavoring of your choice.  Today I chose almond hoping to get the amaretto flavor.  I have also used vanilla.  I am sure there are many other flavors that would be great as well.  Someone I was talking to even mentioned using one of those coffee syrups.

Add 1tsp or less to milk mixture.

Place the lid on the container and shake....

shake......

and shake some more.  It take a while to combine all everything.

Pour the mixture in a pretty cup. (I always pour the milk first. You don't have to stir)

Add the coffee.  (Isn't that a pretty cup?  I love these.  I got them and some bowls and plates to match at the Dollar Tree. :)

Enjoy!
It even has a little foam on top.


5 comments:

  1. OH YUM! I am kind of happy and kind of sad you shared this all at the same time. ha! The last thing I need is some more sweetened condensed milk kind of stuff in my diet! :) I am definitely going to give this a shot though---would make a nice gift as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see a creamer that you can actually know what the ingredients are! This looks great, and I can't wait to try it!
    Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker
    http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. It will spoil faster, but you don't have to worry about all those artifical flavors and chemical. And it is CHEAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever! Love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I can't have my coffee without my flavored creamer. This would def be a money saver. :) Thanks for linking up to a pinteresting party!

    ReplyDelete