Monday, January 23, 2012
Delicious Chicken Enchilada
OK, when your teenage son tells you something you make is the best he has ever had, well you just have to crow about it a little. Last week I wanted to make chicken enchiladas, but didn't have exactly the ingredients my normal recipe calls for, so.... I improvised and it turned out wonderfully. I am going to give you a step by step tutorial of how I did this. Sorry for not having pictures in the tutorial. I had no idea I would be posting this one until the last minute. Next time I make it I will be sure to take pictures to add to the step by step.
Ingredients: 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1 medium onion, 8 oz cream cheese, Ro-tel tomatoes, cooking oil, 8-10 tortillas, 1 jar salsa, 1 cup sour cream, 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
1. Boil 4 boneless skinless chicken breast until cooked through (you can cheat and skip this step by using canned chicken).
2. Saute one medium onion that has been diced in 2 tablespoons of oil until translucent.
3. When chicken is cooked, chop it up and add it to your onions.
4. Add a can of Ro-tel tomatoes and heat through.
5. Add a 8oz block of cream cheese (yes you can use reduced fat or fat free to reduce the fat and calories).
6. Once the cheese is melted and all ingredients are combined, fill tortilla shells (I use whole wheat to increase the nutritional value) with mixture and place seam side down in a 9x13 dish. It should make 8-10 enchiladas.
7. In same pan you just used for filling, pour one jar of your favorite salsa and add 1cup of sour cream (can be reduced fat or fat free) and stir until completely combined.
8. Pour salsa mixture over enchiladas.
9. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.